Known as “The Fortress of the Glorious Religion”, Trashicho Dzong is the most impressive building situated on the banks of the Wangchu (Thimphu River).
Tashicho Dzong was built in 1641 by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and reconstructed in 1962, by the Late King, His Majesty, King Jigme Dorje Wangchuck. The Taschichho Dzong was built in the late 1700’s and also serves as the home of the Central Monastic Body.
In 1216, Lama Gyalwa Lhanangpa built the Dho-Ngen (blue stone) Dzong on a hill above Thimphu where Dechenphodrang now stands. When Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal came to Bhutan in the 17th century, the lhapas were completely crushed and the Dho-Ngen Dzong fell into the hands of Zhabdrung. In 1641 Zhabdrung the Dho Ngon Dzong was rebuilt and named as Tashicho Dzong (Fortress of the Glorious Religion). In 1694 it was enlarged by the 4th Desi Tenzin Rabgye. During the reign of the 5th Desi Gedun Chophel in 1698 the Dzong caught fire and was restored. The 10th Desi Mipham Wangpo built the Kagyu lhakhang inside the Tashichodzong. In 1747 the Dzong was enlarged at the initiative of the 13th Desi Chogyal Sherab Wangchuk.
During the reign of the 16th Desi Sonam Lhendup and the 13th Je Khenpo Yonten Thaye the Dzong caught fire for the second time. The two proposed to then build the Dzong at the site of its current location. In 1777 during the time of the 18th Desi Jigme Singye the Kunre of the Dzong was renovated as it was totally dark. It was further renovated by the 25th Desi Pema Cheda. The 32nd Desi Phurgyal installed many new statues.
In 1869 the Dzong caught fire during and was afterwards extensively repaired.. The late king Jigme Dorje Wangchuck had the Dzong rebuilt from 1962 to 1969 and made the building into the new capital.